Volker Stevin Canada and its subsidiaries across Western Canada are dedicated to providing the highest level of quality services in the areas of: construction, project management, highway maintenance, civil works and bridge construction, maintenance and rehabilitation expertise, and asphalt/aggregate plants and pits.
This position is skilled in safely operating a variety of heavy equipment used in highway maintenance work. A Highway Maintenance Worker/Operator is responsible for highway maintenance, maintenance and operation of equipment and will perform labor intensive duties as required ensuring that the Highway Maintenance Program is delivered according to contract specifications.
- Demonstrate personal commitment to servicing and maintaining company equipment.
- Understand and comply with basic labor laws, applicable specifications, and organizational polices.
Alignment to Volker Stevin Strategies:
- Embody Volker Stevin values, including contributing to the culture of safety excellence.
- Model and promote our company goals and values while undertaking work for the company.
Operating and Labor:
- Operate equipment and perform labor intensive duties for snow and ice control, roadside maintenance, road surface maintenance, traffic control maintenance, bridge maintenance and highway maintenance.
- Possess stamina to perform and sustain physical labor including standing/walking/climbing, and strength to lift and maneuver materials and equipment weighing up to 100 lbs. with proper equipment.
- Complete all required documentation such as fuel logs, schedule forms, road reports, highway maintenance records, equipment repair requests, safety and environmental documentation as related to specific jobs, etc.
- Understand the value this role has for keeping Alberta roads a safer place to travel on.
- Long hours and days of continuous service.
- Significant shift work, on-call, and night shift work required.
- Poor visibility when plowing.
- Work will be performed outdoors in various weather conditions, e.g., extreme heat conditions, windy and rainy conditions; ensure preparedness with proper fluids for hydration, clothing, Personal Protective Equipment.
- Dealing with high traffic volumes in work zones.
- Ensure all work operations are conducted in a safe and responsible manner and duties are carried out as per Alberta OH&S Regulations and Safety Management Guide.
- Initiate corrective action when safe work procedures are not followed.
- Ensure all required safety training is up to date.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
Qualifications & Experience
- Valid Class 1 (preferred) or Class 3 driver’s license with air endorsement.
- Clean and valid driver’s abstract.
- Experience in snowplow operation – minimum 50 hours behind the wheel.
- Experience and aptitude for operation and minor maintenance of light, medium, and heavy equipment.
- Ability to perform physically demanding tasks.
- Valid Standard First Aid Certificate (preferred).
- Must reside within 30 minutes of the assigned shop.
Note: We promote a safe work environment with a substance testing program.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
About Volker Stevin HighwaysOur story begins in 1996 with the privatization of Highway Maintenance in the Province of Alberta. We started our operations in Southern Alberta, and have maintained the roads, and bridges in the Lethbridge Contract Maintenance Areas ever since. In 2001, we assumed responsibility for the Calgary area, and further expanded our operations in 2016 with the 30-year maintenance contract of the North East section of the Anthony Henday Drive in Edmonton. In August 2019 we added all of Mountain View County and Clearwater County to our areas and currently maintain approximately 30% of the provincial road network (~ 18,500 lane km’s). Over 200 plow trucks, and more than 350 people, work all year round to provide safe roads and bridges to the travelling public in Alberta.
Apply now for Highway Maintenance Worker Operator
"*" indicates required fields