Reporting to a Foreman the RT Backhoe Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operator of an construction RT Backhoe and will perform duties as assigned to ensure that complete work is delivered according to the contract specifications.
- Operate an RT Backhoe and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Will be back filling, hoe packing and be required to operate the front end and back end of the machine, as well as dig.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment, and clean, lubricate and refill equipment as necessary.
- Work with ground personnel in the excavation and installation process of laying pipe on line and grade.
- Ensure trench is excavated to the proper depth/grade.
- Responsible for placement of water, storm and sanitary sewer pipe in the excavation.
- Follow directions of ground crew regarding craning, gravel placement and grading.
- Conduct trench work, which meets OH&S requirements.
- Operate an excavator/hoe on public roadways, maintaining proper awareness of one’s surroundings.
- Ensure a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
Qualifications & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent; with experience in related construction activities.
- 1 -2 years of experience operating an RT Backhoe is required.
- Valid Class 5 Operator’s License; with clean Driver Abstract.
- Knowledge of operation of a loader and other heavy equipment
- Knowledge of road construction materials, road construction processes and industry requirements.
- Ensure a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance, computerized controls, and electronics.
- Ability to work in adverse weather conditions.
- Physically capable to repetitively lift and carry at least 25 regularly.