Reporting to a Foreman, an Asphalt Roller Operator is responsible for safe and efficient operation of Breakdown Rollers, Rubber Tire Rollers, and Finish Rollers. A Roller Operator distributes, breaks down, compresses and gives a finished surface to cooling asphalt.
- Operate the roller and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Safely operate roller in successive overlapping passes over surfaces to be compacted, rolling subgrade and asphalt to desired compaction and smoothness.
- Determine speed and direction of machine, based on knowledge of compressibility of material under changing temperatures, so that ridges do not form by excessive pressure.
- Push hand roller and pound surfaces using hand tamp or guide portable power roller over areas not accessible to road roller.
- Operate self-propelled steel-wheeled, rubber-tired, vibrator, segmented, or other type of roller to compact earth, subgrade, sub-base, and asphalt surfaces.
- Other duties as required.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
Qualifications & Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. is preferred.
- Class 5 Drivers License; a clean Driver’s Abstract.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience working on a paving crew.
- 2 to 3 years of experience operating Breakdown Rollers, Rubber Tire Rollers and/or Finish Rollers is required.
- Demonstrate a proficient understanding of asphalt and raking techniques.
- Knowledge of paving construction methods, asphalt and road construction materials, heavy equipment operation and industry requirements.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 50 lbs. on a regular basis.
- Valid Class 5 Operator’s License; clean Driver Abstract.
- Willingness to work out of town and in remote locations, as required.
- Willingness to work overtime, as required.