Volker Stevin Canada and its subsidiaries across Western Canada are dedicated to providing the highest level of quality services in the areas of construction, project management, highway maintenance, civil works and bridge construction, maintenance and rehabilitation expertise, and asphalt/aggregate plants and pits.
A Lead Hand is responsible for assisting and supporting a Foreman with assigned project duties and requirements. This position will be a contact point for the assigned crew to ensure all work is done safely and effectively.
- Assisting a Foreman with daily tasks including safety meetings, field-level hazard assessments, and worksite planning.
- Monitor the quality of work performed at your assigned job site.
- Maintain all records and reporting systems for the job site.
- Ensure that all employees, with special emphasis on the hires, have had orientation training for the tasks that are required to perform and/or the equipment they are expected.
- Assist in the review, completion, and corrections on all required documentation which includes daily time sheets, tailgate meetings, and incident reporting.
- Ensure that employees are wearing the assigned PPE (Personal Protective Equipment) when required.
- Respond to emergencies and ensure proper actions are taken.
- Other duties as assigned by the Foreman.
- Overtime as required.
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat, and humidity.
- Must be physically able to repetitively lift and carry at least 20LBS on a regular basis.
- Use of Personal Protection Equipment is required.
- Use of sunscreen, long sleeves, and appropriate headgear is recommended.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
Qualifications & Experience
- High School diploma or extensive experience.
- Minimum of five years of experience in construction.
- Valid Class 5 Alberta Driver’s License with clean Driver’s Abstract.
- Thorough knowledge of the Workers’ Compensation Board Health and Safety regulations.
Note: We promote a safe work environment with a drug and alcohol substance testing program.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
About Volker Stevin ContractingSince 1978 Volker Stevin Contracting Ltd. has been one of the premier civil contractors in the Calgary region. We are a well-established, and highly respected general contractor with a wealth of experience, and expertise in projects ranging from $10,000 to $150,000,000. We take great pride in delivering top quality projects on time, and on budget. As one of the larger local contractors, we have the personnel, resources, and equipment to ensure timely delivery of the projects to which we commit. Our resource pool offers us approximately 800 employees, from general laborers to the most highly skilled equipment operators, foremen, superintendents, and project managers, all within the City of Calgary and area.
Apply now for Lead Hand – Shallow Utilities
"*" indicates required fields