Volker Stevin Canada and its subsidiaries across Western Canada are dedicated to providing the highest level of quality services in the areas of construction, project management, highway maintenance, civil works and bridge construction, maintenance and rehabilitation expertise, and asphalt/aggregate plants and pits.
Reporting to the Foreman, the Grader Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the self-propelled motor grader. The Grader Operator performs rough or fine grade finishing, precisely spreading and mixing materials to dry and prep roads, construct road surfaces, to precise grade specifications, lay cold mix and/or shave and rip out old road surfaces.
- Operate the grader and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner and maintaining proper awareness of ones’ surroundings while operating Grader on public roadways.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks on equipment.
- Perform routine cleaning and maintenance to ensure smooth operation of the grader.
- Precisely operate grader blade to windrow gravel to the center of the road.
- Operate grader controls to regulate height and angle of the grader blade and lower to loosen packed soil to permit grading.
- Knowledge of grader and other heavy equipment.
- Knowledge of issues involving ground disturbance.
- Understanding of grades and interpreting roadway plans and drawings.
- Knowledge of road construction materials, road construction processes and industry requirements.
- Understanding of computerized controls and electronics.
- Work is performed in an outdoor setting, which could include inclement weather, heat, humidity with exposure to dust and asphalt.
- Must be physically capable to lift and carry a minimum of 40 lbs. repetitively on a regular basis.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
Qualifications & Experience
- High School Diploma or G.E.D. preferred.
- Class 5 Driver’s License; clean Driver’s Abstract.
- Minimum 3 – 5 years’ experience within the road construction industry.
- Minimum 2 – 3 years’ experience operating a Grader is required.
- Relevant Oilfield Certification /Safety tickets would be an asset.
- Finish Grader experience would be an asset.
- GPS experience would be considered an asset.
Note: We promote a safe work environment with a substance abuse testing program.
While we thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected will be contacted for an interview.
About Mainline ConstructionOur story began in 1992, when Harvey Bennett opened a deep utility construction business serving the local residential markets of Grande Prairie, Alberta. Over the years, he grew the company to service other industries, and expanded to include earthworks, oilfield construction, gravel supply, and trucking. As Harvey maintained the growth of the business, his primary focus and priority was always his staff, clients and the community. The family atmosphere at Mainline Construction and its supporting community was a natural fit when Volker Stevin Canada purchased the company in 2014.
Apply now for Grader Operator
"*" indicates required fields