H. Wilson Industries (2010) Ltd. is seeking and experienced Excavator Operator. Reporting to the Foreman, the Excavator Operator is responsible for the safe and efficient operation of the construction excavator/hoe and to perform duties as assigned to ensuring the work completed is delivered according to contract specifications.
- Operate the Excavator and other heavy equipment in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Perform daily maintenance and safety checks of equipment.
- Conduct pre-operational checks on equipment, and clean, lubricate and refill equipment as necessary.
- Work with ground personnel in the excavation and installation process of laying pipe on line and grade.
- Ensure trench is excavated to the proper depth/grade.
- Responsible for placement of water, storm and sanitary sewer pipe in the excavation.
- Follow directions of ground crew regarding craning, gravel placement and grading.
- Cut grade with minimal time spent on excavating to ensure production is on schedule.
- Conduct trench work, which meets OH&S requirements.
- Operate Excavator on public roadways, maintaining proper awareness of one’s surroundings.
- Ensure a sound understanding of the issues involving ground disturbance.
- Perform routine cleaning and maintenance to ensure smooth operation of the Excavator/Hoe.
- Be aware of proper rigging of pipe, manhole barrels, etc. and ensure safe work procedures are followed during the lowering of materials into the excavation.
The ideal candidate for this position will possess the following:
Qualifications & Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent with experience in related construction activities
- Valid Class 5 Operator’s License; with clean Driver Abstract
- Minimum 3 – 5 years’ experience within construction and Water & Sewer experience
- 2 – 3 years’ experience operating an Excavator is required
- Relevant Certification /Safety tickets would be an asset
- Knowledge of road construction materials, road construction processes and industry requirements
- Possible out of town and weekend work on an as required basis